Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Surgery Update

Friends and Family,

It has been a long day.  We promise to send more details soon, but here is the quick version for now...

At roughly 10:30am Landry was wheeled away so they could start prepping her for surgery.  Close to 11:30 they started surgery and about every hour we received a call from the OR nurse letting us know that they were still working.  It wasn't until around 4:30pm when she called to tell us they were finally finishing up.  We saw Landry for a quick 10-15 seconds around 5:30, as they were wheeling her down the hall to the PICU.

We intend to add more details later, but in regards to the surgery...

- The surgeon was pleased with the outcome.  He successfully repaired both her Pulmonary Arteries AND heart defect (Tetralogy of Fallot w/ Absent Pulmonary Valve).  Praise the Lord!

- Upon closing her chest, the surgeon and his team agreed on leaving her chest cavity open.  In other words, he did not fully close her sternum.  This may sound terrible, but history has proven this strategy to be most effective in allowing the internal swelling to properly reduce.  Now, I know what y'all are thinking....and NO, she's not laying on her bed with her chest wide open.  He secured a chest patch which will cover and protect her wound until the swelling goes down.  Our doctor expects to come back and fully close her in 2-3 days.

- The next 12-24 hours will be full of ups-n-downs.  The PICU team will be diligently monitoring her vitals and adjusting her fluid levels.  The doctor urged us to mentally prepare ourselves for an emotional rollercoaster.

We love you all so much!  And though we may not get the chance to respond to all texts, emails, and phone calls, PLEASE KNOW THAT YOUR SUPPORT MEANS EVERYTHING TO US!!!  We embrace your love and truly feel your prayers.  Honestly, with what has happened over the last 6 weeks, Kacee and I admit to being spiritually exhausted.  We feel like our own prayers lack enthusiasm and perhaps fall flat.  That's when we recognize all of your prayers interceding in our life and carrying us through each day.  Thank you for providing an uplifting spirit!  We thank the Lord you are in our life.

All Our Love to You,

Kacee & Kyle

      

4 comments:

  1. Do you need anything that I could bring you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! It's been a while! I learned through the grapevine that your precious baby had surgery yesterday, and I was pointed to this blogspot. I actually work in the PICU there, but I've had the week off to do VBS. I should be back to work on Tuesday night, so depending on how yall are doing, you may or may not still be there (in the PICU). But regardless, if you need anything in the meantime, feel free to contact me. When I get there on Tuesday, if it's ok with you, I'll peak in and check on yall.
    I think my email address is attached to the link, so if you need anything, just email me and I can be sure to get yall my cell number.
    Take care!
    ~Janiece Jung
    PS -- avoid the cafeteria between 11 pm and 2 am unless it's nacho night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your journey and so happy to see Landry! She is perfect. I am constantly thinking and praying for your guys.... Your story has touched more people than you know. Much love, Megan Blagg Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kacee and Kyle,
    I have been following your blog and your journey with little Landry. Know that your family and sweet little girl are in our constant prayers.

    May God's Blessings Continue To Pour Over Your Family,
    Erin Gustafson Williams

    ReplyDelete